Quang Binh is located in the Middle of Vietnam. There are alot of methods to get to Quang Binh province. Dong Hoi City is the capital of Quang Binh, it is 489km from Hanoi, 197km from Vinh City (Nghe An province), 94km from Dong Ha Town (Quang Tri Province), 166km from Hue city.
Travellers can get to Quang Binh by trains, long distance buses or plane.
The major Railway Station in Quang Binh province is Dong Hoi Railway Station, located in Sub-area 4, Nam Ly Ward, Dong Hoi City.
Dong Hoi Railway Station is a stop for the Vietnam Reunification Express train. Route: Hanoi City– Dong Hoi City–Da Nang City – Hochiminh City. If travelers want to go to Quang Binh from Hanoi City, just buy tickets for Hanoi – DongHoi route. It’s suggested to buy tickets of Reunification Express trains for better quality services. Tickets can be bought at Hanoi railway station, please check the “Hanoi city” , “Da nang city” and “Ho Chi Minh city” tabs for more information about Trains.
The Vietnam Reunification Express train No. SE3
Dong Hoi railway station, Quang Binh province
It almost similar for opposite route from Dong Hoi city to Hanoi. The name of trains for route the North to the Sounth (Hanoi – Dong Hoi – HCMC) are: SE1, SE3, SE5 and the South to the North are SE2, SE4, SE6.
By long distance bus
Buses transfer to/from Hanoi – Quang Binh – Ho Chi Minh City through the National Highway No.1.
If you have more time and want to enjoy the beauty of the localities, you could use a high quality car service (can be hired in Hanoi) to go to Quang Binh province. On the road, they can enjoy the beautiful scenery of the province before coming to Quang Binh.
Please check the “Hanoi city” , “Da nang city” and “Ho Chi Minh city” tabs for more information about long distance bus.
If you do not have much time, you can travel by plane. Ha Noi – Dong Hoi (Quang Binh); Ho Chi Minh City – Dong Hoi; Da Nang – Dong Hoi.
It will take 1 hour and 30 minutes to get to Dong Hoi from Noi Bai airport (Hanoi)
For HCMC – Dong Hoi route, it will take 1 hour and 35 minutes to get to Dong Hoi from Tan Son Nhat Airport (HCMC).
Dong Hoi airport, Quang Binh province
Please check the “Hanoi city” , “Da nang city” and “Ho Chi Minh city” tabs for more information about domestis flights and International flights
Dong Hoi Airport (Vietnamese: Cảng hàng không Đồng Hới or Sân bay Đồng Hới) is located in Loc Ninh commune, 6 km north of Dong Hoi city. From the airport, you can get to Dong Hoi downtown by taxi or bus.
- From Ha Noi, we recommend the Hung Thanh Bus Company and we’d suggest purchasing your ticket at Vietnam Backpacker Hostels (also known as Hanoi Backpackers Hostel), which is easy to find at 9 Ma May or 48 Ngo Huyen in the old quarter, where all the team speaks English. You will need to be at Hanoi Backpackers at 6:00 PM where you will meet the bus and travel a short distance further to the office of the bus company to pick up other guests, before the 7:00 PM departure from Ha Noi to Dong Hoi, Quang Binh. You can also call to Hung Thanh Bus or book at Hung Thanh Bus office at 162B Tran Quang Khai Str., Tel: 04.39274284 – 04.39274285. Please be advised that it is very difficult to purchase this bus ticket prior to your arrival in Hanoi; the bus tickets are much easier to purchase on arrival in Ha Noi or via a phone call.
- The sleeping bus is comfortable, air-conditioned and occasionally has wi-fi if you are lucky. There is a small toilet at the back of the bus and you’ll also make a stop along the way near Ninh Binh, where there are (basic) toilet facilities.
- It costs approximately VND 250,000 from Ha Noi to Dong Hoi (the price might increase dramatically during Tet holiday, International Labor Day and Vietnamese National Day).
In Dong Hoi: The bus stops at 165 Ly Thuong Kiet Street between 4- 5 AM in the morning.
- The Hung Thanh Bus Company also provides a Phong Nha/Dong Hoi – Ha Noi route, departing at the same place. You can buy tickets at Thanh Phat Hotel or at 165 Ly Thuong Kiet Street, Dong Hoi city (052)3851 995 / (052)3851 996
- Find more here: www.hungthanhtravel.vn
- Trains are an enjoyable way to travel and see a bit of the countryside. They are especially comfortable if you purchase a ticket in a soft-sleeper cabin. There are only 4 beds in the cabin so there is enough room to sit up if you prefer or to lay down. A hard-sleeper cabin does not provide enough room to sit up because there are 6 beds per room versus 4. Overnight trains are also a good choice because then you can do your travel without missing anything during the day (and you’ve got somewhere to sleep for the night)!
- We recommend the following overnight trains from Hanoi to Dong Hoi:
- You can find the full list of available trains here: Hanoi to Dong Hoi Train Schedule.
- Taking a flight to Dong Hoi, Quang Binh from Hanoi, it being just a 1 hour and 25 mins flight. However, you have to factor in the time traveling to the airport (1 hour from old quarter). It is best to check the Vietnam Airlines website ahead of time to ensure you can catch a flight on your desired travel dates, otherwise we recommend the train or bus to save your travel days.
- There is one flight daily from Hanoi to Dong Hoi. Flights are as follows:- 8:05 AM -> 9:30 AM: VN8591: Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday
– 7:00 AM -> 8:00AM: VN1593: Tuesday, Thurday, Saturday
- There is one flight daily from Dong Hoi to Hanoi. Flights are as follow- 10:00 AM -> 11:20 AM: VN8590: Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday
– 8:50 AM -> 9:50AM: VN1592: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday
- From Hoi An or Da Nang to Dong Hoi or Phong Nha by bus, we recommend the Hanh Café/ Hung Thanh Bus Company (the companies partner together). The bus is VND 250,000 per person, and departs from Hoi An at 8:00 AM and 13:00 (1:00 PM) daily. Hung Thanh Bus Company partners with Hanh Café Bus Company so you will start on the Hanh Café Bus from Hoi An or Da Nang and then the company will transfer you onto a Hung Thanh bus in Hue, which will continue on to Dong Hoi.
- There is no train station in Hoi An. You will need to transfer to Da Nang first if you would like to travel by train. The best train options are as follows:
- The only practical way to journey between Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC) and Dong Hoi city is to take a dosmetic flight to Dong Hoi City. Flight tickets cost can be checked with Vietnam Airlines, Jetstar Pacific or VietjetAir
- The bus and train journeys are both just too long to be viable options for those wanting to get quickly between the two cities. Alternatively, for those on a budget but who have a little bit more time, it’s common to find that the cheapest flights are often available between HCMC and Da Nang or Hue (versus direct to Dong Hoi). From Da Nang or Hue, one can find a train to get to Dong Hoi.
For your information, there are international flights from/to Dong Hoi (Quang Binh, Vietnam) to/from Chiang Mai (Thailand) operated by Jetstar Pacific Airlines. Visit their website for more information.
International flights are an important consideration for those traveling from around the world. There are several international airports within Vietnam:
- Hanoi (Noi Bai International Airport)
- Da Nang (Da Nang International Airport)
- Ho Chi Minh City/Saigon (Tan Son Nhat International Airport)
If you fly into Saigon, you’ll need to take another flight to reach Dong Hoi City. If you fly into Hanoi, you can reach Dong Hoi city by flight, bus or train. From Da Nang, you can travel to Quang Binh by bus train, or dosmetic fly. Please see more information regarding domestic travel above.
Updated information from Quang Binh Tourism April, 2020